Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Modern Quilt Guild Challenge - Finished Quilt

Woohoo! I finished my first MQG Challenge quilt.

This was my first time sewing with curves and my first quilt made without any rulers.

When I first got the fabric for this challenge, I wasn't really sure what to do with it. The soft green/grey colors aren't really my typical style. I've been really into Sherri Lynn Wood's book, the Improv Handbook for Modern Quilters, so I decided to try one of the scores from her book.

I had a hard time deciding what to do, but I decided on the Layered Curves Score. I have never done curved piecing before, and it's something I've wanted to try for a long time! I bought a few shades of grey and white to go with the fabrics sent, and I also got a 1/2 yard of the triangles from the Cottage Garden line.

This top was so much fun to piece! I made the entire quilt without rulers (except for on the facing), so the blocks ended up all different shapes and sizes. They were fun to make, but I got a bit nervous about how they'd fit together.

I used a lot of steam, and filled in with strips when the blocks were different sizes. It wasn't as difficult (or as stressful) as I thought it would be, and I really enjoyed the process. I'm actually starting to prefer sewing without a ruler! Sherri Lynn Wood also has awesome instructions, which make a huge difference.

I quilted it with an off-centered spiral in variegated (white & grey) Aurifil thread. I was going to try something different with the quilting, but I think a spiral was the right way to go with this one. I tried spray basting for the first time, and it is a game changer! I never minded pin basting, but I do occasionally get small puckers on the back. I got some tips from a friend on spray basting, and I have converted! It worked out so well.

I love the variety in these blocks, and how all of the different shapes come together. I am really looking forward to my next improv pieced/ruler-free project!

I ended up doing a fairly simple pieced back, with some of the left over border pieces. I finished this quilt with a facing, instead of binding (another first!). I liked the look of the border I had added, and didn't want to add a solid binding.
Overall, I'm very pleased with how this one turned out. I'm not quite sure what to do with it now, but I'm sure I'll think of something. I also need to think of a name for it so I can make a label.
I've also learned a lot making it, and I'm really looking forward to doing more improv piecing. It was a lot of fun, and I liked not having to worry about measuring, piecing and cutting accurately!
Linking up with NTT Thursday at My Quilt Infatuation and Crazy Mom Quilts.