I've made some progress on a new quilt to this weekend with my Amy Butler Hapi fabrics. I was originally planning on using these to make an EPP quilt top (I still plan on doing that), but it was very slow going, and I want a new quilt for my bed before 2017. I also really wanted a pattern that would use large pieces, a lot of these prints are large scale, and I wanted to be able to see them!
I started looking at blocks and quilt tops on pinterest, and decided I wanted to do a large traditional block in the center of the quilt (with giant pieces to save time). I got most of my ideas from looking at different barn quilts. In the end, I decided to do a carpenter's wheel. I thought it would work with a mix of fabrics. Luckily, I also found a tutorial on Bloomin Workshop which had cutting instructions for a large block (7" diamonds).
I split my diamonds into 3 groups; green, blue and pink. I used green for the center:
And alternated pink and blue for the second ring of diamonds:
The y-seams were a little tricky, my first time trying them, but the tutorial was very helpful. I haven't worked with many bias seams before, so I also used a lot of starch... I actually ran out! Luckily, there was only one diamond left when I'd run out, so I think I'll manage.
I'm nearly finished with the star, I've just got to finish piecing the corner units--I hope to finish the wheel today.
Linking with Nini and the Sea's Weekly Inspiration Linky Party.