Saturday, May 16, 2015

Blogger's Quilt Festival - Supernova

Hello Again!

Here is my second entry for the Spring 2015 Blogger's Quilt Festival (you can see my first entry here).

I am entering my Supernova Swap Quilt in the hand quilted category.

My Supernova was pieced last year, using the tutorial by Lee @ Freshly Pieced. The swap was hosted by Stephanie @ Late Night Quilter and Sandra @ One Million Stitches. My partner, Amy, and I swapped blocks for 5 months. I used 9 of those blocks to put the top together.


I decided to hand quilt this quilt with black perle cotton. I was nervous about it at first, but I love how the black pops against the light background and bright colors! It makes me want to quilt everything with black perle cotton!


I made the back from leftovers I had. I think the quilting shows up very well on the back:


You can see the rest of the hand quilted entries on Amy's website. Hope you enjoy!


11 comments:

  1. Very nice! Your choice of the black perle cotton for quilting was perfect for this quilt, and your stitching is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful work Kate, on both your entries! Your stitching looks so good and I love that you hand quilted this. You really inspire me to give hand quilting another try - someday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The quilting really shows up quite well on the back, and I like the framing it serves for the blocks on the front!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI Kate. This looks great. I love it when people hand quilt modern designs - it just mixes it up a bit and adds a unique factor. My online friend Jo from Riddle and Whimsy has entered a supernova quilt too - her's is in the ROYGBIV category.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Makes me want to try hand quilting!! This quilt looks amazing on both front and back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love hand quilting with perle too. Excellent job of quilting on such a lovely quilt. I can see why you love the black. It accents everything beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful. I especially love the back.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never tried my hands at handquilting. BUT this awesome quilt makes me want to try it at once! It looks really amazing and adds to the beauty of the quilt itself! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm a fan of Super Nova, as I participated in Lee's quilt-along when she started it. You've make yours beautifully, and your hand quilting really sets off the design. Good for you to boldly choose black! It works! Best of luck in the Quilt Festival.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is really lovely! I, too, am a fan of black perle quilting (I had just typed up that I haven't quilted w it yet, though, myself - then I realized, duh! my BQF quilt was quilted w black perle. Goodness! I think what I meant was, I haven't quilted a colorful quilt with black perle... silly me)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The quilting is AMAZING on this! If I had the patience for hand quilting, I would be off in search of black perle cotton right now!

    ReplyDelete