Mr. Thread Everywhere has a terrible weekend, he's been in bed with an ear infection for the past few days. I finished this quilt on Friday, but he is my quilt photographer, so I wasn't able to get pictures until today. I used an ironing board to hold the quilt, while I took photos.
It worked out pretty well, as this is just 36 X 36. I made the quilt for Project Linus, our local chapter needs small baby quilts for the NICU.
This was also a great opportunity to use up some scraps. I did by a couple of blue fat quarters, and the animals from Joann's (on sale last week). The batting only cost $5 (also on sale at Joann's). So this quilt cost me less than $10 in new materials.
These blocks were fun and simple to make. I just cut different sized squares out of the animal prints, and framed them with blue and green scraps until I had 12.5 x 12.5 blocks.
This was also my first time making a scrappy binding, and doing the binding by machine only.
I think I'll stick to hand binding in the future. There were a few spots where I missed the fabric (and a few where I caught the binding on the back, too). I much prefer the look of hand binding on the back of the quilt, and for me it's worth the extra time.
Overall, I'm very pleased with this, and I love the animals and polka-dots. I'm looking forward to making more of these this summer.
Linking with Crazy Mom Quilts.