Monday, January 12, 2015

Colorado Beauty - Finished and Posted!

Woohoo!! I finally uploaded all of the pictures I took in December, and I now have a finish to share.

I finished my Colorful Colorado/Colorado Beauty quilt just in time for Christmas, and took these on the way to the post office. (I haven't actually settled on a name)

I wrote about my process, and design for this quilt here.

 
It was quite windy, and my husband is a little bit short, so it was touch to get a good photo of the quilt this way. If you look at it this way (which is sideways if you look at my original plan) you can see the Twin Peaks in the blue HSTs. I grew up in Longmont, so Long's Peak and Mt Meeker are the most noticeable part of the horizon.

 
This was a decent sized quilt, so it was hard to get a good horizontal photo of it. I hope you can see from these pictures the "map" of Colorado, with the desert, mountains and plains. I am so proud of this quilt, and I really love how it turned out. I'm glad it went to a good home, but I am thinking about making another similar quilt.

 
I did straight line quilting, 1/4 inch from all of the borders between the background and the different colors. The lines are about 4-5 inches apart. I wanted to do less quilting on this one, as I wanted it to stay nice and soft.

I did a small amount of hand quilting, just in the center Colorado Beauty block (or Denver on my map).

Denver.
I used an orange Juliana Horner print for most of the back. I also used up most of my extra scrappy blocks. You can't really tell in the pictures, but I did a scrappy binding, with solid navy, green and yellow.
 


This one was a little hard to let go of, but I'm glad it went to a good home where it will be loved :)

This was a great quilt to finish 2014 with--I feel like it was a great way to combine a lot of the things I love into a special quilt for a good friend, and my favorite place. I got to use a lot of my scraps (I'm shocked by how many I've accumulated in the last 9 months!). I also think it's a good representation of me as a quilter. I really enjoyed the process here--playing with scraps, and coming up with an original design, and I am so happy with the result. It turned out much better than I had pictured it. I can't believe how far I've come since my first quilt back in April!

This week I'm linking up with Fabric Tuesday at Quilt Story,  NTT Thursday at My Quilt Infatuation, Finish it up Friday at Crazy Mom Quilts and the Weekly Inspiration Linky Party at Nini and The Sea

19 comments:

  1. I'm not familiar with Colorado but I love how you describe it with your colours and shapes. I can definitely see the change from the mountains into the desert in your design!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate this is beautiful! I love your vision and that you were able to translate it to this gorgeous quilt. Adding the hand quilting is such a special touch! And that back! Fantastic! Such a nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kate, I live in Broomfield, CO and I totally get your vision! Outstanding job and you should totally make another one for yourself!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a beautiful finish, Kate, and your vision an execution were fabulous. It is good to know it is going to a loving home. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so lovely, I'm on the HST train right now too and am loving seeing all the different layouts people use for them and I dont' know that I've seen one laid out quite like this before and I really love the echo of the Colorado star. Wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the idea of the landscape dictating the colour and I really love the back too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sew eye catching! Love the colors and the happiness of it all! Great finish!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how the colors seem to glow against the background fabric! Gorgeous!

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great rainbow and I love the bold backing! Great finish!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful quilt! Love the design and you can't go wrong with rainbows!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm drawn to your color choices. The orange just make it glow. Beautiful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful use of color - love this quilts story!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful quilt. You did a lovely job, and it's got a great name.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is beautiful! I love how the colors fade together so seamlessly. Great job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love it! I love the scrappiness. I love the way the colors flow and and I love the hand quilting. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have friends here who are from Colorado and were this week explaining to me the Denver parkland scheme, which keeps natural environments near the city. It sounds like a place worthy of a quilt as lovely as this one. Such a shame you had to give it away!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very informative post ! There is a lot of information here that can help any business get started with a successful social networking campaign ! Business

    ReplyDelete
  18. This website and I conceive this internet site is really informative ! Quote

    ReplyDelete