Tuesday, February 24, 2015

She's a Rainbow - Finished Mini

This March, my local quilting group, the South Florida Modern Quilters, was invited to hang quilts in a special exhibit in the Broward Quilt Expo. I'm not quite ready to start submitting my quilts to shows, but I thought it would be fun to participate in the exhibit with the rest of the group.

I decided to make a mini for the exhibit, as all of the other quilts I've made are being used, and I didn't want to send any of them away for the month.


This was inspired by the Fiesta Wall Hanging in Quilting Modern. I used the same process and measurements, but made it a rainbow. This is my first quilty project from a book, and I'm really happy with how it turned out.

My strips were from AMH's True Colors.



The finished enter panel was a bit fiddly. I pressed my seams to the side, but I think this made it a little stretchy. It was hard to keep it stable (and square) when quilting. I don't know if pressing my seams open would have made it a little easier, or if I just needed more starch....any tips?


I did matchstick quilting with a guterman variegated green thread, and used Kona Emerald and Grass for the borders. I can't remember which gray I used. I do like the green with the rainbow. I could turn it into a St. Patrick's Day themed quilt, but I don't really do holiday decorations, so I won't :)

 
 
I had a lot of fun doing the strip piecing, and I really like making this mini. I can't wait to get it back and hang it on my wall. Has any one else tried this, or any other quilts from Quilting Modern? What was your favorite?
 
Linking this week with Fabric Tuesday at Quilt Story,  NTT Thursday at My Quilt Infatuation, Finish it up Friday at Crazy Mom Quilts and the Weekly Inspiration Linky Party at Nini and The Sea 
 
This is #4 on my 2015 FAL list, nearly halfway there! I don't think I'll make it through all 9 this quarter, but it's nice to have goals!



11 comments:

  1. Wow the AMH fabrics just glow from the centre with the way you've pieced it. gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kate. I really like Jacquie's stitch and flip technique. I've used it in a couple of quilts.
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kate. I really like Jacquie's stitch and flip technique. I've used it in a couple of quilts.
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a lovely quilt! The play between the solids and the prints is awesome! I starch everything, a.lot. I find it helps with accuracy and stretching. My quilts lay MUCH flatter now that I use starch :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This turned out so well! I hope you can go to the exhibit or at least get a picture of it hanging the exhibit from someone! In terms of keeping things square when matchstick quilting... I personally adjust the pressure of my walking foot to be almost zero. This keeps the top fabric from bunching and once I started doing this I didn't have issues with unexpected tucks on the backing, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ruth nailed it with the word glow. That rainbow focal point really just jump straight off the background and is so full of wow!
    Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very striking! Love the colors and the border colors are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi! This looks beautiful and surely you had fun making it! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't really do holiday decorations either, apart from a half-arsed attempt at Christmas!
    Nice mini. I like these fabrics cut up small to just allow the colours to shine through.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful project, it fairly glows, I just ahd to come by and take a peek when I saw it on the finishalong!

    ReplyDelete