Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Mod Blocks with Spots

I made a lot of progress on the blocks for a quilt I'm making from my Amy Butler Spots Jelly Roll.


I really love the geometric prints and mod feel of this line. I think this is my favorite block.
 
 
I started with making a bunch of 2.5 inch squares into these 6 inch blocks. I wanted to do a more modern design, and maximize the number of blocks I could make with just one jelly roll. This was a great way to do it as I still have enough strips left to make another quilt top, or do a scrappy binding.



 
This is where I'm at so far. My inspiration for the layout came from the Grape Crush Quilt from SewKatieDid. (I love all of her quilts)
 
 
I'm still not sure how I want to finish the top. I might frame to blocks again, in another color or just frame the blue with pink and vice versa... I also don't know what to do with the background. For now I'll wait to see what comes to me.
 
 
 

 



3 comments:

  1. I really love the way you stretched your jelly roll into such great, modern blocks! The design really shows off the fabrics well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your modern blocks! The colors are awesome! I love SewKatieDid and her book Quilting Modern, it's a staple in our family! Hope inspiration to finish comes soon! ~Chelsey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kate,

    I like those modern blocks. As Chelsey said, we LOVE Quilting Modern, it really inspires me. I like how the dark gray sets off the other fabrics. Thanx for sharing your inspiration.

    Nini~
    niniandthesea.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete